[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Canadians - Radioactive ranchers?

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 08:35:51 CDT 2016

Guys

It's notable too that the female citizen who's featured in the article
doesn't believe that her reduced renal function is likeliest to be a normal
result of aging.  I'm guessing that she's "heard" that uranium can be
nephrotoxic, so believes that the U in her water is the probable culprit.

In fact, the kidneys slow down, with age, just like pretty much every other
bodily function (including the immune system).  Say the typical glomerular
filtration rate (GFR) of a healthy young adult is 100 mL/min.  Starting at
about age 50, we lose nominally 1 mL/min.  So, if one lives to 100 y, it's
the natural history of aging that one would be likely to be running on the
equivalent of only one kidney; which is fine.  Being overweight, and
perhaps pre-diabetic or diabetic, and consuming the unnaturally large
amounts of protein that we do, does not help (IMHO).

Cheers
ca