[ RadSafe ] Security theatre- was: Dry Cask Spent Fuel Storage -was: Re: Belgium

Egidi, Philip Egidi.Philip at epa.gov
Mon Mar 28 12:57:32 CDT 2016

Clayton,
While I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you are saying, I seem to remember a whole mess of trouble over airport scanners that gave about 3 uR per scan. They actually got removed from the airports in favor or millimeter wave technology. No one refused to get on the plane after that scan that probably gave them a millirem per thousand miles of flight. Those old scanners are still in use, just not at airports. I never underestimate the unreasonableness of the American public when it comes to radiation risk perception. They may change their tune about it when they see the size of the cleanup bill the taxpayer will be saddled with...

Usual disclaimers apply. My opinion only...
PVE

Philip Egidi
Environmental Scientist
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Radiation Protection Division
Washington, DC
(202) 343-9186 (work)
(970) 209-2885 (Cell)

"The health of the people is the highest law."
Cicero (106 - 43 BC)