[ RadSafe ] A brief etymology of particle physics | symmetry magazine

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Tue May 30 15:54:55 CDT 2017

Not exactly Radiation Safety, but is interesting.
Short summaries of the origins of various particle names -- even has stuff like "ion"
Didn't realize that photon was originally used in vision/perception of light...

A brief etymology of particle physics
http://bit.ly/2qyJw3T

Over the years, physicists have given names to the smallest constituents of our universe.
This pantheon of particles has grown alongside progress in physics. Anointing a particle with a name is not just convenient; it marks a leap forward in our understanding of the world around us.
The etymology of particle physics contains a story that connects these sometimes outlandish names to a lineage of scientific thought and experiment.
So, without further ado, Symmetry presents a detailed guide to the etymology of particles-some we've found and others we have yet to discover.

Here's the full link that is shorted above:
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/a-brief-etymology-of-particle-physics?utm_source=main_feed_click&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=main_feed&utm_content=click

Best regards,
Cary

Cary.renquist at ezag.com