Re: Total body irradiation

Total body irradiation is a technique frequently used as part of bone marrow transplantation
in the treatment of a handful of malignant diseases, among which is
metastatic breast cancer.  In brief, a sample of bone marrow (or blood) containing progenitor
cells for the immune system is removed from the patient and filtered using
a variety of cell sorting techniques to isolate only healthy cells.  The patient's
immune system is then basically killed using either chemotherapeutic agents,
high dose irradiation or a combination of the two.  The radiation dose is by no
means low. Doses delivered over the course of several days can range up to
1000 cGy.  It is a very aggressive therapy and generally a last ditch effort to save
a patient who has failed other regimens.  Once the malignant cells are destroyed,
the patient's immune system is restored to functioning status by infusing the previously
obtained sample which still contains viable cells.

Jim O'Rear
GammaWest Brachytherapy
Salt Lake City