Re: Airport X-ray Security Scanner

Jeff

Are you sure your not talking about the luggage X-ray scanner that we
all pass our carry-on items through?  Very similar to devices used in
many corporate and carrier mail rooms.  Essentially no dose to operator
or those near by outside of the Pb lined stripes that hang down in front
of the opening.

On the other hand, are you referring to a external body scanner?  I did
not know that they were being used in airports, if in fact they are.
These devices were referred to as "people scanners" (I think the
opposite of a euphemism) at last year's CRCPD meeting.  Based on the
manufacturer's claims (and claims of independent verification) the dose
was reported as 3 uR (0.03 uGy) for 4 views total (front, back, and both
sides).  I hope we don't need to discuss the hazards of this dose any
further.  The obvious real benefits outweigh any perceived risk to
radiation.

The usual disclaimer:  My opnion only and not that of . . .

Glenn Roberts