What to do with old Liquid Scintillation Counter

George,

You can contact the manufacturer to remove the source.  For a fee they will
remove the source and properly dispose of it.  If you then remove the lead
you can then dispose of it as normal lab equipment.  If the counter is in
working condition you might want to find a needy user via Radsafe.

Additionally you will need to notify the NRC pursuant to 10CFR31.5 (if the
manufacturer removes the source they will probably take care of this - but
check with them).  Also check to see if there are any state regulations that
apply. (the manufacturer will probably be aware of any that apply)

Jim Tracy
NIST
email: james.tracy@nist.gov