From: Joel Baumbaugh [mailto:baumbaug@nosc.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 3:55 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Standards for the Taking

         Peter, Chris and Group,

         I have been told by more than one manufacture that the L.S.
cocktail solution's fluors/phosphors/primary solutes  (e.g. PPO [-
2,5-diphenyloxazole], PBD, p-terphenyl, BBOT, BPSB and dimethyl POPOP,
etc.) eventually deteriorate chemically due to the constant "bombardment"
from the radioactive sample, but "I" have not noticed any deterioration in
counts in older standards myself that were anything other than those you
mentioned below.

         Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
         SSC-SD