RE: EU Rules for Extremity Dose (+NORM)

Hello Radsafers,

Article 9 (Dose limits for exposed workers) indeed specify 500 mSv/year, as
follows:
"2 (b) the limit on equivalent dose for the skin shall be 500 mSv in a year.
This limit shall apply to the dose averaged over any area of 1 cm2,
regardless of the area exposed" and "2 (c) the limit on equivalent dose for
the hands, forearms, feet and ankles shall be 500 mSv in a year".
Based on different articles of the Treaty establishing the European Atomic
Energy Community (Articles 2b, 30-33), each Member State must ensure
compliance with the basic safety standards laid down in the Directive
96/29/Euratom.  The aim of the Directive is the uniform implementation of
basic safety standards in the Member States.

Now, to the funny bit:
Article 54 of the Directive:
"...If a Member State is to adopt dose limits which are stricter than those
laid down in this Directive, it shall inform the Commission and the Member
States."
So, as you can see, nothing stops a Member State to make the limits lower
than specified...

Another funny bit is the Title VII of the Directive about 'natural radiation
sources'.  You won't believe how much fun I am having now trying to find out
how this Title is going to be implemented in the EU.  No numerical criteria
for regulation are present, only 'significant dose' (whatever this may
mean...).  One state may decide that it is 0.01 mSv/year, another one - that
it is 6 mSv/year.  Furthermore, the guideline for the implementation of
Title VII (RadPro95) looks to me as a document written almost entirely "in
the air-conditioned office".  Some numbers/classifications are rather
peculiar and 'way over the top'.  Let me know if you are interested in this
one.

Kind regards
Nick Tsurikov
Eneabba, Western Australia