The world's first commercial NPP

><< the world's first commercial nuclear power plant in 1957 and has the
>world's largest installed base of operating nuclear power plants.
>>
>I always have believed that the first commercial nuclear power plant was
>built in Obninsk, Moscow's suburb in 1954, 50 electrical-megawatts unit.
>There is a monument to that event.
---
I was in Obninsk the summer of 1998 (dose reconstruction conference relating
to Mayak lessons and other "events") and also learned that the commercial
power production began in 1954. Obninsk was not on the map before something
like 1968 - they had too much of "nuclear & radiation" in the town to tell
its location. The oblast lines were even redefined to make Obninsk (which
probably only was a postal box number anyway) even less visible - hence
formally moved from the Moscow to Kaluga. Obninsk is located about 60 (?)
miles south of Moscow. The population of Obninsk is about 100 000.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com