Re[2]: HELP! Criticality Dose Estimate Trivia/Na-24 activity

3I ha

ve a related question while trying to calculate the Na-24 activity of the
JCO victims (I have some of the Japanese references but cannot understand
them). Please correct any of the following if it is wrong:

Number of Na atoms in the body of an individual who weighs about 60 kg:
Grams Na should be about 70:
(70/23)x6E23 = 18E23 atoms

The activity A should be given by:

A = 18E23 x (1-Exp(-ln2 x t/900) x F x C

Where t is the irradiation time in seconds, F is the flux
(high energy neutrons per unit area and time) and C is the cross section
(unit area).

Can anyone help me to get appropriate approx. numbers on t, F and C for the
JCO accident? It must be possible to follow this backwards and then compare
with the Japanese tables I have (I just want to be able to follow the
calculations).

A similar calculation that may be of some interest would be for say one gram
of gold (Au 197).

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com