RE: More on "informed dialogue"

I have to categorically disagree with Mark's assertion that is
incumbent upon the NRC to educate the public regarding the risks of
radiation exposure, perceived or real. This is not their function,
nor should it be. Whether we agree that it would be a benefit, the
truth is that their interjection into public education will be viewed
as collusion between the regulator and the industry being regulated.
This was an issue many years ago, when there was the AEC and ERDA.
The issue was that the regulator should not be promoting
simultaneously.

If we want to educate the public, there are many venues to do so,
such as HPS, AAPM, EEI, NEI and more importantly, informed members of
the public. Let's not confuse the role of the regulator. What we can
ask though, is that the regulator be conscientious when dealing with
issues originating from those they regulate. Interject reality into
the equation. That is quite different from education.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle