From: Malek Chatila [mailto:mc02@aub.edu.lb]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 6:14 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: 10CFR35.315 + your comment

Dear Radsafers,

I have a question concerning the release of hospital rooms that have been
used by Iodine-131 patients (for therapeutic treatment) that I hope you can
help me with.

10 CFR 35.315, paragraph (7) states "Survey the patient's or the human
research subject's room and private sanitary facility for removable
contamination with a radiation detection survey instrument before assigning
another patient or human research subject to the room.  The room must not
be reassigned until removable contamination is less than 200
disintegrations per minute per 100 square centimeter".

My interpretation of the above is that the limit of the removable
contamination must be met even thus if the next patient who will be
assigned the room is also an iodine patient undergoing therapeutic
treatment.  Is this correct?

I also would like to get your comment on the following:

The hospital administration is thinking of dedicating a hospital room for
only iodine patient.  Moreover, this room is in the middle of the hallway.
I guess their thinking is that if the room is dedicated only to iodine
patients, than they do not have to worry much about contamination levels
and any special preparation for the room such as using absorbent papers to
cover ....
Do you think this is appropriate?

As always, thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Malek Chatila
Health Physicist,
Assistant RSO