Re: Dedicated therapy room

This is consistent with NRC Regulatory Guide 8.23 (Radiation Safety Surveys
at Medical Institutions, Rev 1, 1/81) Table 2 values for Recommended Action
Levels for Removable Surface Contamination in Medical Institutions (page
8):

Unrestricted areas- beta or x-ray emitters = 220 dpm/100cm^2
Restricted areas- beta or x-ray emitters 2200 dpm/100cm^2

If low risk beta or x-ray emitters (such as C-14, H-3, S-35 or Tc-99m) the
values are multiplied by ten.
For fixed contamination levels, the Table 2 values are multiplied by five
(page 3).

Comments about the thread thus far:

The guide is dated, but to say it is not scientifically based seems
premature given the 34 references that are listed. It probably should be
reevaluated and brought up to date. Surface contamination control is an
ALARA issue, and if you can show by survey and subsequent dose projections
(or actual bioassay results) that the CEDE to your staff is a negligible
component of the TEDE, then you should consider negotiating a license
amendment with the NRC or Agreement State and propose new limits. I would
suggest that if your argument is strong, it may be worth an article
(perhaps for HPS's Operational Radiation Safety magazine?).

"Jacobus, John (OD)" <JJacobus@exchange.nih.gov>@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu on
01/14/2000 07:27:32 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

Sent by:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu