RE: More on "informed dialogue"

I usually try to stay clear of these types of discussions, but I feel that
this merits a few meager thoughts that I have.

True, not having a standardized plant design certainly raises the cost of
building a Nuclear Power plant.  Ford and GM would be more than happy to
talk about the benefits of standardized designs.

I think that there are several other major cost factors that should be
considered.
First, many companies that jumped on the "let's build a nuke !" wagon were
not accustomed to the rigorous building and QA practices needed to
successfully complete a plant.  If you use poor materials, practices or QA,
when it comes time to try to license the plant, the NRC starts asking for a
lot of retest and rework.  Up goes the cost.

Second, many plants were caught in the Post TMI let's incorporate lessons
learned before we let these plants start up.  Re-engineering and rework of
plant systems becomes very costly.

Third, because of the extra care needed to build a nuclear plant and the
inexperience of many utilities, some underestimated the amount of time that
THEY would need to build the plant.

Fourth, after the plants were operating, some utilities thought you could
just run them like an oil or coal fired plant.  Not so with nuclear plants
!!  A little care goes a long way in this industry.

Fifth, the capital cost of a Nuclear Power Plant is probably THE major
expense associated with a well run plant.  The capital cost of a plant is
directly related to the interest expense associated with the plant.  The
anti-nuclear groups learned very early on in the game that they could make
just about any plant un-economically viable if they delayed start up and the
resultant debt pay down, as long as possible.

There are a number of utilities that have learned that they can make a well
run nuclear power plant become a license to print money.

...  mine and mine alone  ...

Ron LaVera
Lavera.r@nypa.gov