ANSI N13.11 Implementation Schedule

As a follow-up to my posting regarding the insinuation that the Draft
revised ANSI N13.11 Standard will preclude the use of film dosimetry,
I have confirmed the following with Mr. Steve Sims, N13.11
Chairperson:

(1) The Standard does not preclude any type of dosimeter from being
used for dose of record. Any dosimeter tested should be tested in
those categories that are most appropriate for the radiation
environment to be monitored.

(2) The standard addresses proficiency testing alone. It is not a
Type Testing Standard. Therefore, TLD, film, electronic dosimetry are
all covered based on proficiency testing requirements.

(3) The Standard addresses new proposed NIST Beam Codes. How and
which Beam Codes will be provided for in the proficiency testing is
to be determined by both NVLAP and DOELAP, with input from the NRC
and DOE.

(4) The working committee has submitted the Draft Standard to the N13
Committee. Steve expects that any comments and questions will be
provided to him during the April/May 2000 time period. The working
committee responses would be expected to be returned to the N13
Committee around August 2000.

(5) Once the N13 Committee accepts the Draft Standard, it will be
submitted to NRC and DOE for their comments. If they accept, the
proposed Standard will be submitted for public comment in the Federal
Register, approximately January 2001.

(6) The earliest implementation date is most likely January 2002.

In conclusion, if you are currently using a film dosimeter for
personnel monitoring, and you have no desire to change your
monitoring methodolgy, there is no move to take this option away from
you. If anyone approaches you and tells you that film will no longer
be allowed, I suggest that you contact Mr. Paul Martin, NVLAP Program
Manager, (301) 975-3679, prmartin@nist.gov or contact Mr. Steve Sims
(423) 574-6692, N13.11 Chairperson, simscs@ornl.gov.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle