Electrical engineers in Chernobyl.

Radsafers,

In my message, I may unintentionally offended electrical engineering as a
profession.
That was not my intend nor to bring any antagonism and controversy into the
power plant community. There were many electrical engineers and technicians
who suffered as well. As a matter as a fact, the electrical division got the
BIGGEST group dose because of.......(as it was analyzed) they are who is on
the out put of the product-electricity and they who had to disconnect many of
the out side plant's electrical power switches. After the accident most of
the contamination was on the out side of the plant buildings, in fact, the
plant inside (other 3 units) would be clean if plant's ventilation system
would be shut down after it happened.
All after accident contamination on those 3 units came from.....the outside.
Of course, nobody could even imagine that it would possible when plant had
being designed.
A few stories have been told about the doses.
I will just tell how it was with me. In 1988 when I came in the Zone, I of
course was shocked and very confused about the Zone. I was very surprised by
the comradeship in the there.
One of the examples: when I had to go into the high and very high Rad. Areas
0.1-20 rads/hr, to spend substantial amount of time in there, the old timers
(liquidators - guys who worked before, during and after or came right after
the accident, I also got a liquidator status but with slightly less
privileges) were telling me: "Take a break, you are fresh and young, I
already have gotten a DOSE and that additional (relatively) small dose will
not make me more harm if it already have 'made'".  They always were adding:
"will live, will see......."
It was Chernobyl ALARA..... they knew that I as a new person, with less
experience, ...extremely nervous, I would spend much more time to do this
task compare to them with more experience.... It was a ...very different
experience from what I had before, on the outside of the Zone. How many
times, in the beginning if I was alone, I was getting lost inside the
plant?...... Too many. RBMKs have the most complicated geography, almost like
some of the US campuses. *green*

I never was in a War but, I think, it is something like that accident.
Interesting is that fact, that person who was working or lived in the area
before or after the accident calls it a WAR. And when somebody referring to
time before or after the accident, he says: "Before the War" or.......It may
be too philosophical, however in some way all wars are the accidents.

Again, my sincere apologies to those professionals, to whom that part was
offensive.

Happy Friday and a great weekend to every one.

Sincerely,
Emil
kerembaev@cs.com