Re[2]: 60 Minutes story on Savannah River Laboratory

     Sandy et al,

     You are correct in how this is assessed in the DOE world _today_. 10
     CFR 20 and 10 CFR 835 (rad prot for DOE) are essentially the same.
     However, the person in question received the intake in 1978, well
     before either the NRC or DOE adopted committed (effective) dose limits
     for intakes. Intakes were measured in body and/or organ burdens back
     then, without calculating the dose to the worker.

     I watched the show, and this appears to be another case of looking at
     something that happened 20+ years ago and evaluating it against the
     legal standards of today. As has been noted on RADSAFE many times
     before, lots of things that may have been legal in the past would not
     be so today, but the comparison is not fair or valid.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steve.rima@doegjpo.com