radioactive material releases

Otto Raabe repiled:
> It seems to me we should be refering to "very slightly radioactive
> materials" and "scrap metal whose radioactive content is well within safe
> limits".

I agree with Otto here.  Does anyone have an idea of how much actual
activity we are talking about, on an annual basis?  Carol Marcus and I did a
little analysis some years back, and found that grocery stores in the US are
permitting uncontrolled releases (with no consumer notification) of the
order of 7.5 *curies* of radioactivity (K-40) per year, in bananas alone
(there are other foodstuffs high in potassium whose contributions could be
added).  I would just be curious to know how the two numbers compared.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright