Cremation of Sr-89 patients

A question to those folks routinely administering Sr-89 radionuclide therapy
for palliation of painful bony metastases (usually in prostate Ca patients).
The typical dose administered is about 150 MBq (4 mCi), and we anticipate
that there will be about 75% skeletal uptake, with the remainder being
rapidly exreted in urine within 2-3 days post administration.

We are wondering - if the patient should unexpectedly die within weeks or
months after the treatment is admininstered,  what guidelines do you provide
the patient and their family as well as to mortuaries and crematoria as to a
minimum time period between the Sr-89 Tx administration and when it is
permissible to cremate the body?  I know this has been a concern for folks
in the funeral industry for a while, and I'm wondering if you could share
any guidelines that have been established by your facility or regulatory
authority.

Any help you could provide would be welcome.

Karin Gordon

Karin Gordon RTR, RTNM, RTT
Radiation Safety Office
Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre