Re: Business airflights = occupational exposure?

1 - What you wrote is reasonable, at this moment, taking into account both
ICRP 60 and IAEA Basic Safety Standards, Safety Series 115 recommendations,
that characterize as occupational exposures those exposures which are
incurred at work and principally as a result of work. The Standards apply to
practices, including any sources within the practices, and interventions.
Any exposure whose magnitude or likelihood is essentially unmanageable to
control to Standards is deemed to be excluded from
the Standards (e.g., exposures from K-40 in the body, from cosmic radiation
at the surface of the earth and from unmodified concentrations of
radionuclides in most raw materials).

2 - The dose limits apply to exposures attributable to practices, with
exceptions of medical exposures and exposures from natural sources that
cannot be reasonably be regarded as being under the responsibility of any
principal part of the Standards.

3 - Not all the requirements will apply to every practice or to every
source, and it is up the appropriate Regulatory Authority to specify which
of the requirements are applicable in each case.

4 - The available quantitative recommendations of the ICRP for protection
against exposure to natural sources were confined to radon, which is
normally a chronic exposure situation and should be subject to intervention
(ICRP 65);

5 - There are at this moment ICRP working group discussing the exposure to
other natural sources.

Jose Julio Rozental
rozental@unisys.com.br
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil