DOE and radiation health in the press

Hello,

The Whitehouse memo listed below may be referring to the study that was in
the press this last weekend.  The timing of the report mentioned in the
last paragraph would seem to be right, since the press stories over the
weekend said the report would be released in about a month.  Why is the
national economic council doing health studies?  Some more information is
available at the following web sites:

http://www.eh.doe.gov/benefits/docs/docs.cfm

http://home.doe.gov/news/releases99/julpr/oipdoe.htm

Mike ... mcbaker@lanl.gov

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release                           July 15, 1999

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
    THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
    THE SECRETARY OF LABOR
    THE SECRETARY OF ENERGY
    THE DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET
    ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT FOR ECONOMIC POLICY

SUBJECT:          Occupational Illness Compensation for Energy Contractor
Personnel

Contractor personnel working for the Department of Energy (DOE) and its
predecessor agencies helped our Nation win the Cold War but often faced
dangerous working conditions.  A small number of them were exposed to
beryllium, a metal used in the production of weapons, and subsequently
contracted chronic beryllium disease (CBD), a debilitating lung disease for
which there is no cure.  Most of those exposed worked under contract for
the DOE and are not covered by the Federal workers' compensation
program.  As a result, many of those with CBD have not received the
occupational illness benefits otherwise available to regular Federal employees.

Today, I am pleased to announce that my Administration will submit draft
legislation to the Congress that would create a new program to give DOE
contractor employees with CBD and beryllium sensitivity the same benefits
-- certain medical costs and lost wages -- now available to Federal
employees.  The American people believe in fairness, and I am sure that
they would find it fair to provide this reasonable compensation to this
small group of people who contributed so much to their country's well-being
and who now are suffering from this incurable disease.

Under my draft legislation, the Department of Labor would administer a
program similar to the Federal Employee Compensation Act (FECA) program,
which currently provides Federal workers a proportion of lost wages,
medical costs, rehabilitation, and training.  My draft legislation also
would compensate workers whose beryllium sensitivity forced them into
lower-paying jobs.  As with all workers' compensation systems, the program
will serve as an "exclusive remedy," barring individuals with work-related
illness claims from bringing litigation against the Federal Government.

Recognizing that other toxic and radioactive materials also may contribute
to occupational illnesses, I direct you to participate in an interagency
review led by the National Economic Council focusing on whether there are
other illnesses that warrant inclusion in this program and how this should
be accomplished.  This interagency review should be completed by March 31,
2000.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

# # #

Michael C. Baker