RE: Control Charts for Alpha Counters

Chris Hofmeyr wrote "If one can be confident that the background is also Poisson
distributed, it is a big advantage.  The beauty of a Poisson distribution is of
course that the average is equal to the variance..."

I agree with everything you say.  I just want to emphasize that the true
variance equals the true mean, but you don't have a good estimate of the
variance without a good estimate of the mean.  If you establish a control chart
based on the variance of an inadequate sample population, you may be setting
yourself up for trouble.

Just my opinion.

Jay A. MacLellan, CHP
Radiation and Health Technology