RE: Comparison of Electronic Dosimeters to TLDs

> Power plants that use our equipment have comparison data between the ED
> and TLD.  Typically the data that I have seen is between 5 to 20 percent
> low for the EDs.

The ideal situation is one where the TLD is < ED by about 5 to 10%.
This builds in a margin of error where there are NO big surprises
when the official dose of record is determined by the TLD or other
dosimeter. My experience has been that the EDs in the field normally
over-respond as stated above. Rarely do I see a situation where the
TLD over-responds as much as suggested. If the TLD is over-responding
by 20%, I consider that to mean there is a flaw in the system, either
with the TLD program, or, the ED program. It is systematic of
something much bigger, and needs to be reconciled.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle