From: Philip Hypes [mailto:phypes@lanl.gov]
Sent: February 09, 2000 2:33 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Toxic Trivia (Polonium)

--=====================_199514466==_.ALT

(snip)
>Polonium is so radioactive that a 0.50 gram sample will reach temperatures
>greater than 500 degrees all by itself. The radiation energy is so great
>that an
>amount too small to see would be a lethal dose!
(snip)

>Any comment on the heating of Po-210 or the toxicity rating?

After calculating the specific power of Po-210, I scrolled a little further
down on the web page I was using as a reference (from the periodic table on
the
web, LANL - http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/), and read the following:
"The energy released by its decay is so large (140W/g) that a capsule
containing about half a gram reaches a temperature above 500C. The capsule
also
presents a contact gamma-ray dose rate of 0.012 Gy/h. A few curies (1 curie
=
3.7 x 1010Bq) of polonium exhibit a blue glow, caused by excitation of the
surrounding gas."

I calculated a specific power of 141.2 W/g. Just in case anyone is
curious, the formula for specific power can be found in NUREG/CR 5550,
Passive Nondestructive Assay of Nuclear Materials. The formula is

Power (in watts) = 2119.3Qm/(T^.5)A

Where Q is the MeV/dis
          m is the mass of the sample
          T^.5 is in years
          A is the atomic weight (mass number)

Philip Hypes
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
(505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov

Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted

--=====================_199514466==_.ALT

(snip) <br>
&gt;Polonium is so radioactive that a 0.50 gram sample will reach
temperatures <br>
&gt;greater than 500 degrees all by itself. The radiation energy is so
great <br>
&gt;that an <br>
&gt;amount too small to see would be a lethal dose! <br>
(snip) <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;Any comment on the heating of Po-210 or the toxicity rating? <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
After calculating the specific power of Po-210, I scrolled a little
further down on the web page I was using as a reference (from the
periodic table on the web, LANL -
color="#000000">),
and read the following: <br>
&quot;The energy released by its decay is so large (140W/g) that a
capsule containing about half a gram reaches a temperature above 500C.
The capsule also presents a contact gamma-ray dose rate of 0.012 Gy/h. A
few curies (1 curie = 3.7 x 1010Bq) of polonium exhibit a blue glow,
caused by excitation of the surrounding gas.&quot;<br>
I calculated a specific power of 141.2 W/g. Just in case anyone is <br>
curious, the formula for specific power can be found in NUREG/CR 5550,
Passive Nondestructive Assay of Nuclear Materials. The formula is<br>
Power (in watts) = 2119.3Qm/(T^.5)A<br>
Where Q is the MeV/dis <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; m is the mass of
the sample <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; T^.5 is in
years<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A is the atomic
weight (mass number)<br>