RE: Toxic Trivia (Polonium)

I recall reading not too long ago, in R. Rhodes' book(s) on US A-bomb/H-bomb
development, that in the early years of the Manhattan project the X-10
reactor was used to breed polonium in bismuth logs (several hundred pounds
of the latter - I forget what the Po-210 yield was ), for the purpose of
manufacturing Po-Be neutron sources ("urchins") that are "assembled" at the
time of the implosion of the bomb core. This technology was only used in the
first generation of A-bombs, and was subsequently replaced by electronic
gadgets.
(some Po was also scavanged from medical needles - people involved were
Bertrand Goldschmiedt and Elisabeth Rona - both originally from the famous
Joliot-Curie laboratory in France.)
Elsewhere, I believe that polonium is a major problem in Fast Breeder
Reactors cooled by lead-bismuth eutectic alloy liquid metal (currently used
only in some Russian submarines and research/demonstration plants, as far as
I know, but also considered for future applications, such as the proposed
actinide waste-burning subcritical reactor - or whatever the official name
is ).
Maybe others can supply more details (Emile ?).
Regards,
Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca

PS. anybody have a copy of the E. Rona book about the Curie Lab they
wouldn't mind selling to me ? ...I've tried various places (Amazon, etc.)
but without success.