Re: Rad query on earthworms

Here's an example of one of the pieces of  "information" I obtained at that site:

"Certain bacteria can transmute unstable radioactive isotopes into harmless
elements. Strong doses of rockdust
     nurture a bacteria population boom, thereby enhancing transmutation activity
to remove radioactivity from soil.

     There's little scientific evidence of this. Yet, it occurs, and a few
scientists know this. As one appropriate example,
     Bechtel, world's largest construction contractor, currently has a high-level
science team at Chernobyl. One
     strategy they're using is bacteria to consume and neutralize radioactive
elements -- a strategy successful with oil
     spills, PCBs and hazardous chemicals.

     Four, remineralization protects not only soil and plants from radioactivity,
but humans, too. Supplying abundant
     minerals -- especially trace elements -- to the human body improves
radiation tolerance, immune system integrity
     and radiation exposure recovery. How? A main effect of radioactivity on
biological systems is to disrupt metal
     ions critical to biochemical reactions and enzymes -- by direct ionization,
or interaction with other free radicals.
     One symptom of radiation exposure is metallic mouth taste, indicating
discharge of damaged metals and
     associated enzymes. Individuals with mineral deficiencies will be more
strongly impacted by this than those with
     abundant minerals in blood and tissue."

No literature citations for these statements of fact.

Another quote from the same piece of  "information"

You said Dr. Rosalie Bertrell mentioned a link between minerals and radiation.
Then you had to depart with two
     monks. Let me now amplify my statements.

With such nonsense extant on the web, it's no wonder the public is misinformed.
I didn't look further on that site, but, if that article I quoted from is any
indication, yes, it might be interesting.  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

"William H. Biggley" wrote:

> Go to <google.com>
> Type in <earthworms radioactivity>
> Approximately 70 hits are registered, some look very interesting!
> wbiggley@jhu.edu
>
> At 12:10 AM 02/09/2000 -0600, Ron L. Kathren wrote:
> >Curious question, but just off the top of my head (there being no hair there
> >to impede this opinion) I am unaware of any bioconcentration by earthworms,
> >and thus would suspect that the chief radionuclide is K-40, at a
> >concentration similar to that in tissue.  What an idea for a thesis topic .
> >.  .
> >
> >Ron Kathren

begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al