RE: Dose to others from medical uses of radioactivity, and a PS on

In my institution, we perform prostate implants with both Iodine-125 seeds
and Palladium-103 seeds. The NRC allowed release exposure rates are defined
at 1 meter and are 0.96 mR/hr and 4.3 mR/hr respectively. This will give
members of the general public up to a one time exposure (allowed under NRC
regulations) of 500 mR. These patients are then allowed to travel by plane,
bus, go to work etc etc, and the calculations we perform, assume a 25%
contact time for other individuals, including spouses.

In addition there are other "Permanent Implants" that can be done eg. Au198
which would allow higher exposure rates (shorter lifetime), but this isotope
is very rarely used these days for any implants.

The other avenue, as other members have stated, is thyroid ablations and
bone scans. These patients are also allowed to leave the hospital at certain
exposure levels.

The rules were I believe changed due to the influence of HMO's requiring
fewer hospital stays (carol can correct me).

Armin Langenegger MS DABMP