Contaminated Residential Waste from I-131Patients

We have the same problem here in New York. My understanding is that the incinerator's permit does not require them to have detectors. But it does prohibit them from burning radioactive waste. At least one incinerator installed detectors because they recycle ferrous metals which are periodically cleaned out of the incinerator - its mixed in with the ash. Shipments of such material have been rejected by the scrap metal recyclers because of radioactive contamination, principally from norm. In order to stop this from entering the incinerator's waste stream the detectors were installed, but now they are getting several hits a month from outpatient waste, of which they were happily unaware up until now.

The profound benefits to the patients of keeping them out of the hospital, far outweigh the resulting inconvenience to waste handlers and regulators.  The best of the possible solutions to this problem, given all the political ramifications, may be to simply pull out the detectors.

Clayton Bradt, CHP <raldrich@nysnet.net>        phone: 518/457-1202
Assoc. Radiophysicist                                             fax:      518/485-7406
NYS Dept. of Labor
Radiological Health Unit
Blg.12, Rm 169
State Office Campus