Re: Uranium Miners' Compensation

-snip, snip-
> Who is influencing Richardson?

"He's driven about this, he's very passionate about it. He wants to get
something done before he leaves office," said Richard Miller, a Washington,
D.C.-based policy analyst for the Paper, Allied-Industrial, Chemical and
Energy Union.
 Richardson's move, Miller is convinced, "is not based on optics" -- D.C.
beltway-speak for political acts richer in image enhancement than substance.
"He's sincere. This particular crusade was not poll-tested and
focus-grouped."

Follow the votes.  Voting is based primarily on emotion and individual
personal benefit.  The art of politics is to use other people's money to
provide benefits and satisfy the emotions of prosepctive voters.   There is
no political downside to Mr. Richardson's actions.  He is merely going with
his basic political instinct,  if someone is crying in front of you and you
can make them feel good by giving them other people's money, why worry about
logic and scientific method.   Rational thought and scientific method are
the results of mental discipline, not natural inclination.

Remember, compensation is going to be with government money, that way the
taxpayers won't be burdened with it  (adaptation of an actual quote form an
local elected official on another issue).  There will be no crowds of
taxpayers chanting for Richardson's head for giving government money to
widows and orphans.   Historians will not be waiting in line to write books
about how foolish Richardson (or anyone else) was with other people's money.

"It's a republic, if you can keep it."  Benjamin Franklin.  Thank goodness,
scientists and engineers won't have to dirty their hands by becoming
involved with politics and the hoi polloi.

Don Kosoff mailto:dkosloff@ncweb.com
2910 Main St, Perry OH 44081