RE: Radiation Protection - Fear, Education and Reality

Sandy Perle wrote:

If I can educate the press in what is happening in an on-going incident, the
public is also being educated. The key is to obtain cooperation from the
media.  Having been involved in several real incidents, the media for the
most part had been realistic and honest. Others were not. That's the name of
the game. You do what you have to do.

This brings me to something someone in a rights group reprimanded me about
recently. How many of you have written editorials in you local papers or
sent editorials to your local TV stations. Anti-nukes do it all the time. I
don't have room to talk. I'm one of the guilty ones. I haven't done it
myself. This counselor asked me how I thought the public was going to learn
about my concerns if I didn't make those concerns public. He is right. Just
writing editorial letters to your local paper or TV station gets their
attention. And if everyone on Radsafe alone did it, that would definitely
get their attention. If all of you have done this then I apologize and will
take my foot out of my mouth, but if not this group has the experts. Maybe
it is time to stop reading the paper and begin writing to them.

This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of
employers.

Dee Brock
RCT
dbrock@sandia.gov