RE: UCS letter by Lochbaum (from ans-pie)

Something that I found interesting in the UCS letter by Lochbaum that you
(owner-ans-pie@nuke-ans.org) posted is the following (quote) :

		 When I asked the NRC about soil erosion and concrete
degradation over time reducing the effectiveness of the protective cover, I
was answered with a lot of shoulder shrugging and mumbling about the
activity level of the radioactive material also declining with time.

....someone needs to enlighten Lochbaum about soil erosion and declining
activity levels of URANIUM left in the ground, if it isn't burned up in
nuclear power plants and turned into fission products that decay away ~200
million times faster.
Prof. B.L. Cohen's studies on this subject, published in Health Physics some
years ago hardly constitute "shoulder shrugging and mumbling."
OK, so the NRC wasn't able to whip out a copy of Cohen's HP paper on the
spot, when accosted by Lochbaum. But wouldn't someone who calls himself a
"Nuclear Safety Engineer" and writes letters to US senators be expected to
keep himself informed at some minimal level at least ?
Its even quite likely that Lochbaum IS AWARE of it, but cynically pretends
that he isn't, hoping that everyone else - including US lawmakers and NRC
officials - have forgotten about it. This practice of "selective memory" is
a common attribute of many antinukes.
Let's not let him & the UCS get away with it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca