Re: Alert Declared at N.Y. Nuclear Plant

Here is what can be found at http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/DAILY/der.htm

FACILITY: INDIAN POINT             REGION:  1  |NOTIFICATION DATE:
02/15/2000|
|    UNIT:  [2] [] []                 STATE:  NY |NOTIFICATION TIME:
20:07[EST]|
|   RXTYPE: [2] W-4-LP,[3] W-4-LP                |EVENT DATE:
02/15/2000|
+------------------------------------------------+EVENT TIME:
19:29[EST]|
| NRC NOTIFIED BY:  TOWNDSON                     |LAST UPDATE DATE:
02/15/2000|
|  HQ OPS OFFICER:  JOHN MacKINNON
+-----------------------------+
+------------------------------------------------+PERSON
ORGANIZATION |

+-----+----------+-------+--------+-----------------+--------+-----------------+
|UNIT |SCRAM CODE|RX CRIT|INIT PWR|   INIT RX MODE  |CURR PWR|  CURR RX
MODE   |
+-----+----------+-------+--------+-----------------+--------+-----------------+
|2     M/R        Y       99       Power Operation  |0        Hot Shutdown

|                                                   |

|                                                   |

                                   EVENT TEXT
| REACTOR MANUALLY TRIPPED DUE TO INDICATION OF A STEAM GENERATOR TUBE
RUPTURE |
| ON STEAM GENERATOR # 24.
|

| The licensee was at 99% power when they received a nitrogen-16 alarm on
the  |
| main steam and other indication of a Steam Generator Tube Rupture on
Steam   |
| Generator # 24. Initial Steam Generator Tube Rupture was initially
estimated |
| at greater than 75 gallons per minute.  The reactor was manually tripped
and |
| all rods fully inserted into the core.  The faulted Steam Generator was
|
| isolated. Currently reactor coolant system pressure is 2243 psig,
|
| temperature is 547 þF and pressurizer level is being maintained at 35%.
The  |
| licensee declared an Alert classification per EAL 3.1.2 (large amount of
|
| water out of the reactor coolant system). The NRC entered Standby at 2049
|
| EST.
|

| The NRC response was deescalated to Monitoring at 2335 EST.
|

| The NRC Resident Inspector was notified of this event by the licensee.

                    mark sasser
                    <duke99301@yahoo.c        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    om>                       <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        Subject:     Re: Alert Declared at N.Y. Nuclear
                    s.uiuc.edu                Plant

                    02/16/00 11:45 AM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

Do'es anyone Know What happend? was it A genny Leak Or
a steam leak?

=====
mark sasser
at duke99301@yahoo.com