Re: Naturally-occurring Tritium

At 10:25 15.02.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Doug --
>
>The 'dating' of ground water or snow packs is possible where there is little
>or no addition of 'new' water, or where the kinetics of 'new' water addition
>are known.  For example, Crater Lake in Oregon does not have water tunover,

Does it never rain there and does the water not evaporate? I do not know
this Crater Lake nor how deep it is, but as we know well from the oceans,
tritium concentration varies with depth and this should be especially true,
when there is no water turnover and the more recent precipitation will
dilute the water close to the surface.

>Works the same for snow packs.

Regarding glaciers, there is the big difference to water, that usually the
snow is added to a frozen layer and therefore no intermixing can happen -
unless the snow partially melts.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458