RE: Residents Angry After Nuke Release

News release:

Residents Angry After Nuke Release

BUCHANAN, N.Y. (AP) - A generator leak at a Hudson River nuclear
power plant resulted in a brief release of radioactive steam, and
some people living in the plant's shadow said Wednesday that they
should have been alerted to the accident.

``Where were the sirens?'' asked David Coviello, 55, who lives two
doors from the plant gate. ``I have a 7-year-old son, an 18-year-old
daughter.''

Officials said the steam was barely radioactive, and its escape
Tuesday night from the Indian Point 2 nuclear reactor was ``momentary
and minuscule,'' so there was no health danger and no need to warn
nearby residents.

Still, resident Salvatore Simone said officials should notify people
of any accident, regardless of its seriousness.

``I should decide for myself,'' he said. ``I might have gotten into
the car with my family and gotten away.''

<cut>

My 2 cents:

HUH?  It is amazing to me that people think this way.  This gentleman has
no concept as to the health risk due to the release vs. the risk of getting
into the car with his family and driving ANYWHERE.  I would guess (yes,
I said guess) that the risk of driving his car (in a panic state if the sirens
went off!) is greater than any health risk due to the release.  He doesn't
have the background to assess and weigh the comparative risks.  I can
understand that he wants the CHOICE, but this choice should be based
on good information, not fear-induced perceptions.

No, I don't have a solution to the situation and these are just my rambling
before my second cup of coffee (yes, I understand the risks of drinking
coffee).  I do feel better that there were some quotes tacked on at the
end of residents that at least somewhat trust the plant.  It's not much, but
at least it is a start.

Scott Siebert
BWOXT Mound
SIEBSR@doe-md.gov