Cost of a human life

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Karam, Andrew wrote:

> >One, is the issue of cost-benefit.  I know
> >many well-educated people who find it completely disdainful to "put a price
> >on a human life."

	They have a valid point on this. But the problem can be avoided by
considering "the cost per life saved" from a particular action. This
is a straightforward piece of data that can be justified scientifically,
with no emotion involved. In many cases, it accomplishes the same end.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260