RE:

Chemrad of Oak Ridge sold a system known as USRADS to the Test Site (I was
one of the crew originally trained to operate it).  This system used a
backpack with an ultra-sonic crystal that received positioning coordinates
from transceivers setup around the site.  The instruments were connected to
the Backpack which sent the readings back to a computer that put every thing
together.  We had a lot of problems with the device.  If you didn't set up
the transceivers correctly, the survey map generated would be out of kilter.
There was also a lot of reliability problems with the hardware and support
from Chemrad wasn't adequate either.  When the system worked, it worked
well.  You can mount the backpack on a person or an atv.  You just have to
work slowly.  I understand that they have replaced the USRADS system with a
GPS system.  This is supposed to work really well.  Chemrad is Located in
Oak Ridge, TN on Emory Valley Road.

Terry Harmon
Sr. Health Physics Tech
Kelly Scientific Resources