RE: Tritium in old nuclear weapons

The fusion fuel is comprised primarily of lithium deuteride.  The fusion
fuel is trapped between a U-238 wrapper and a spark plug of U-235 or Pu-239.
As a bonus the lithium in the lithium deuteride is transmuted into tritium
which itself participates in the fusion reaction.  Basically a
Fission-Fusion-Fission device.