Fwd: Volcano Erupts in Philippines

And you thought living near a nuclear power plant was bad!

In a message dated 24-Feb-2000 4:41:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, AOL News
writes:

> Volcano Erupts in Philippines
>
>  .c The Associated Press
>
>   By BULLIT MARQUEZ
>
>  LEGAZPI, Philippines (AP) - The Mayon volcano spewed a column of
superheated
> ash into the air and streams of lava and debris down its slopes in an
> eruption today that sent thousands of nearby villagers fleeing.
>
>  Villagers, many jarred from sleep by the first rumblings before the
pre-dawn
> eruption, boarded army trucks to evacuate. Evacuees crammed into school
> classrooms and some took refuge under trees in the schoolyard.
>
>  Officials warned that a more violent explosion could occur at any time.
The
> [...]

``We became so scared we decided to leave. Other people were waking up our neighbors to evacuate,'' he said.

For about a week, the 8,118-foot mountain, famous for its cone-like shape, has been emitting ash plumes and occasional flows of lava. The crater's lava dome has swelled, releasing molten rocks the size of a room down its slopes.

The volcano has been showing signs of unrest since last June, spewing ash-laden smoke high in the sky several times last year. An explosion in September forced more than 5,700 people to flee their homes.

Mayon's most violent eruption on Feb. 1, 1814, killed more than 1,200 people and buried an entire town in volcanic mud flows. Its last eruption in February 1993 killed more than 70 villagers.

 Copyright 2000 The Associated Press.  The information  contained in the AP news report may not be published,  broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without  prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Announcement: America Online has added Reuters newswires to News Profiles. To add Reuters articles to your daily news delivery, go to KW: <A HREF="aol://5862:146">News Profiles</A> and click on "Modify Your News Profiles." Then click "Edit" and add Reuters from the list on the left.

To edit your profile, go to keyword <A HREF="aol://1722:NewsProfiles">NewsProfiles</A>.
For all of today's news, go to keyword <A HREF="aol://1722:News">News</A>.