Re: health physics calculator

At 09:34 AM 02/24/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>RADSAFErs,
>
>I've been toying with a simple idea for a side project, so here's a couple
>questions for you all:
>Since this is only a thought, and I have not researched the idea at all,
>perhaps there is something out there already that I am not aware of.  (Us
>headquarters types are not always plugged into what is actually happening in
>the workplace :-)  If so, please let me know.  Otherwise, if there is
>interest I might take it on, as I am looking for a home project.  I can
>envision this going a couple different directions, depending on the need.
>It could either be a standalone program, or an add-in to a program like
>Excel, MathCad, or Mathematica.  Any suggestions?

Doug (and fellow-radsafers):

A piece of software such as the one you describe is already available, but
not widely known (yet!).
It is called "RadCalc" and was developed by a health physicist for pretty
much the same reasons you mention.  I have used it, and it's remarkably
easy to use. According to the developer's marketing info:

"RadCalc's main feature performs statistical calculations for measurements
of radioactive surface contamination, wipe samples, and air
samples-including minimum detectable activity (MDA), lower limit of
detection (LLD), detection limit (LD, sometimes called detectable count
rate or MDCR), and critical level (LC), as well as sample activity. Specify
input and results in any mix of U.S. or SI units of count rate, activity,
and area; all unit conversions are handled automatically. Click on "Use
MARSSIM Method" to force all statistical calculations to follow the
guidance in the MARSSIM Manual (NUREG-1575). Turn this feature off to use
the traditional Currie methodology, specifying a particular confidence-level.

Other functions built into RadCalc include a radioactive decay screen where
RadCalc calculates half-life and elapsed time in addition to the usual
decayed activity. "Back calculating" activity is also supported in this
feature. Another screen-the nuclide data section-contains a full database
of 497 radioactive isotopes, displays emissions and intensities, half-life,
daughters, branching ratios, and potential parent isotopes, all on a single
screen. The database can be searched for nuclides giving specific emissions
by energy and yield. The unit conversion feature converts between units of
total radiation, radiation rate, radioactivity, total radioactivity,
specific activity, length, area, volume, temperature, and more.

Results and data in all sections of RadCalc can be printed or saved as a
text file for use in other applications, and the number of significant
figures displayed can be adjusted by the user.

RadCalc is offered at $129.  RadCalc requires a PC running Windows 95 or
higher, and approximately 8 MB of free space.

For more information, contact Paul R. Steinmeyer, voice 860/228-0487; fax
860/228-4402; email: prstein@radpro.com."

Other than wanting this program to continue (and therefore, supporting it
as much as I can), and a desire for good rapport with the developer, I will
not personally derive any benefit from this post--I just wanted to let you
all know it does exist and it is available!

Thanks.

Sharyn