Talking Back: Radiation promotes better health

John had the following "letter to the editor" published in the
Gailesville Sun. In conversations with John, I told him that I would
make this letter available to the various professional listsevers.

Monday, February 28, 2000

Talking Back: Radiation promotes better health

By JOHN R. CAMERON

A recent editorial in The Gainesville Sun ("The long, long wait,"
Feb. 18) lamented the lack of a scientific solution to the nuclear
waste problem. The scientific solution was found years ago, but has
never been publicized.

The small amount of radiation to the public from nuclear waste will
improve their health. However, there is no obvious solution to the
political problem of "not in my back yard."

There is no health risk in storing nuclear power waste in dry cask
storage, as is done at the Northern States Power nuclear plant in
Minnesota. The radiation exposure to the public in a year is less
than you get in one jet flight.

The recent statement of health damage to early nuclear workers by
Secretary Richardson of the Department of Energy (DOE) was not based
on facts. He gave no data and quoted no studies.

He did not mention a $10 million unpublished DOE study of nuclear
shipyard workers -- probably the best study of radiation workers ever
done. It showed that radiation was beneficial to the health of
nuclear shipyard workers. Radiation not only reduced the incidence of
cancer, but also reduced death from other causes.

The study is described in DOE report DE-AC02-79 EV10095, 1991:
"Health effects of low-level radiation in shipyard workers" by
professor G.M. Matanoski of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
in Baltimore, Md.

The health of about 30,000 nuclear workers with the largest lifetime
radiation doses was compared to the health of 33,000 non-nuclear
workers with the same ages and jobs. I was a member of the Technical
Advisory Panel (TAP) that met regularly to review the progress of the
study. The chair of TAP was the distinguished radiation scientist,
professor Arthur Upton.

The study was completed in 1987. TAP members approved the final
report in early 1988. However, the final report was not submitted
until late 1991. No reason was given for the delay.

Nuclear shipyard workers had a significantly lower cancer death rate
than non-nuclear workers and much better general health. The death
rate from all causes of the nuclear workers was an amazing 24 percent
(16 standard deviations) lower than the death rate from all causes of
the non-nuclear workers.

This improved health was probably due to stimulation of the immune
system by the increased radiation.

Health improvement from increased radiation has been known since1974.
Dr. Norman Frigerio at the Argonne National Laboratory near Chicago
(a DOE facility) published a study showing that states with high
natural background radiation -- comparable to the increased dose to a
nuclear worker -- had a 15 percent lower cancer death rate than the
average for all states.

Scientific evidence for improved health from the high natural
radiation was also shown in a recent study. (See "Natural Background
Radiation and Cancer Death in Rocky Mountain and Gulf Coast States,"
by John Agger in Health Physics, Oct. 1998.)

The cancer death rates in three mountain states with high natural
radiation were compared to the cancer death rates in three gulf
states with only one-third the natural radiation. The cancer death
rate was about 25 percent lower in the mountain states. I suggest the
increased cancer death rate in the gulf states is due to radiation
deficiency.

The DOE should sponsor a study of health benefits from increased
radiation. It would be easy to increase the background radiation by
placing sacks of uranium ore under the bed. The control group would
have sacks of ordinary sand. The radiation level of the exposed group
would be well below the level known to cause cancer.

I would be happy to volunteer for the study. I believe that in
another generation, radioactive waste will be incorporated into
building materials in the gulf states to increase the background
radiation. This would be similar to the added vitamin D in many foods
and added iodine in our salt.

John R. Cameron is a Professor Emeritus of the University of
Wisconsin-Madison and a visiting professor at the University of
Florida's departments of Radiation Oncology & Physics.

John R. Cameron
2678 SW 14th Drive,
Gainesville, FL 32608-2050
jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu
352/371-9865; FAX 352/371-9866

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle