Re: Smear Checks of Respirators

We do not check the respirator after use.  I'm not sure how sensitive that type
of check would be.  We do take advantage of our exit portal monitors to bound
the maximum intake that could go undetected prior to routine bioassay (which is
of course dependant upon the mix of isotopes you are working with - we are a PWR
with no fuel problems - our IPM-7 monitors can currently see on the order of 20
mrem from internal exposure).  Hope this helps.

Don Flahardy, CHP
Seabrook Nuclear Plant
603 773-7312

ANAGHW@doe-md.gov on 02/29/2000 10:15:57 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

  To:          radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

  cc:          (bcc: Donald T. Flahardy/NAESCO)

  Subject      Smear Checks of Respirators
  :

I'm interested in feedback from other facilities. How many of you (power
reactor or DOE) smear the insides of respirators immediately after use to
check for a failure of the respirator?

Please respond to my private e-mail so as to not clutter up the list-server.

Thanks in advance,

Harry Anagnostopoulos, CHP
Mound
ANAGHW@DOE-MD.GOV