Re: Radioactive Contamination in Russia

At 07:43 29.02.2000 -0600, you wrote:
Western
>observers

Not only Western ones!

feared the same might be true at two other major sites -- Tomsk-7
>and Krasnoyarsk-26. But this new study by the International Institute for
>Applied Systems Analysis

The Laxenburg-near-Vienna-based Institute has nothing to do with active
research in natural science, so I am a little surprised to read about this
study, but probably they have financed it. I am sure that the institute
itself is not able to pick suitable scientists to do this work, but maybe
some other organisations have participated.

shows that hazardous conditions at these sites are
>substantially below those at Mayak

Regarding the terrible conditions at Mayak, this may not mean much!

. The study was directed by Frank L.
>Parker, an engineering professor at Vanderbilt University, and Vladimir
>Novikov of Moscow State University.
>. . .
>--

I wonder whether an engineering professor can be regarded as expert in
radiation protection, radioecology and environmental surveillance.

Anyway, does anybody know, where to get this report from?

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458