RE: intentional misuse - bending rules

Please understand - I am NOT advocating bending rules, ignoring problems, or
letting people get away with things.  In fact, in my initial posting I
specifically said that regulatory compliance is a high priority with us.  We
have rules, we educate the researchers about them, and we enforce them.  We
penalize researchers who transgress.  We do not have the luxury (or curse,
depending on your outlook) of heavy-duty security restrictions and
surveillance to watch every person all the time.

I AM advocating stopping a second to think about the institutions affected
before making sweeping pronouncements about "problems" and "cures".  In
point of fact, very few HPs have ever posted to Radsafe to say that it is
possible to stop a person with access to radioactive materials from taking
them without authorization.  The only ways to prevent intentional misuse of
radioactive materials completely is to prevent ALL use of radioactive
materials of to maintain workers under surveillance at all times.  Neither
of these are reasonable in any but a very few specialized settings.

I should also note that I have worked in Naval Nuclear Power, I have worked
as a consultant (with security clearance) at some DOE facilities, I've
worked for a small environmental firm with a few Troxler gauges, and (while
working for the State of Ohio)I have gone through the commercial power plant
indoctrination training.  I would like to think that this gives me a
sufficiently broad perspective (intellectual parallax, if you will) from
which to comment on this issue.

Sincerely,

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety