Re: Mecial Question

Matt,

Thyroid ablation is usually done with a relatively large quantity of
I-131.  Several approaches can be used.  Typically about 100 mCi are
administered.  Aggressive therapy can use up to 300 mCi.  In both cases the
patient is usually hospitalized at least for a day or two.  Sometimes
several 30 mCi doses are administered instead.  In Illinois we still adhere
to the old regulations that allow patients to be sent home if they contain
30 mCi or less.  Newer NRC regulations can allow release of patients with
higher activities if appropriate calculations are performed.  Maybe someone
in an NRC state can relate what they do.

Dave Derenzo

At 01:25 PM 02/29/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>We have a worker about to undergo a thyroid ablation.  He is scheduled for
>an "uptake test."
>
>Can someone enlighten me on what this is?  Particularly, if it is a nuclear
>medicine procedure with a smaller administration of I-131?
>
>Matt Williamson
>Indian Point Unit 3
>Williamson.m@nypa.gov <mailto:Williamson.m@nypa.gov>

Dave Derenzo (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776