RE: Mecial Question

Yes, it is  a diagnostic nuclear medicine procedure (using either I-131 or
I-123) to determine the level of uptake by the thyroid tissue - that prior
information is necessary for the nuclear medicine physicians to determine
how much I-131 to administer for the therapeutic thyroid ablation procedure.

Can you ask the worker to contact the nuclear medicine department and ask
how much of what radionuclide they will use for the diagnostic uptake
procedure?  That will help you determine if he'll set off all your nuclear
power plant radiation detectors.   I-123 has a much shorter half-life, so
it's use for the diagnostic procedure would minimize the workplace hassle,
in terms of minimizing the amount of time before he could return to work
without triggering your alarm systems. However, I-123 is sometimes not
available to all nuclear medicine departments, due to logistics and expense.

Hope this is useful.

Karin
************************
Karin Gordon RTR, RTNM, RTT