Re: [rad-sci-l] Chernobyl genetic disaster

>	How come there were no genetic effects observed among the >Japanese A-bomb
>survivors, who were exposed to very much higher >levels of radiation?

I think that there indeed were a number of genetic effects - they should be
expected on a germ cell level - but also hidden in two ways: 1/ The genetic
load that we all bear (without the addition of atomic bomb blasts "nearby")
is probably much larger). 2/ Spontaneous abortions would probably hide most
of any added damage to germ cells.

In other words - there is probably an important question relating to weather
genetic effects on the germ cell level will be manifested or not (the
definition of "genetic effect" can be choosen depending on what we want to
emphasize - the main thing is to be clear).

A better way to look for genetic effects may be to study the DNA of germ
cells and screen for point mutations. The DNA of somatic cells seems to
accumulate mutations in a linear fashion with increasing age. The same
should be expected for germ cells. In other words - waiting a few years with
getting children is probably more damaging to our DNA than many lower levels
of various agents that are regulated. As I think wrote earlier here at
Radsafers - the "purpose of sex" is not "having fun" - it is rather about
repairing DNA and rearranging DNA sequences. Not a very romantic version -
sorry about that... (sex is Nature's invention to make the repair etc
happen... anyone who disagrees?).

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/born_cedervall/