Re: Sr-90 sellers arrested in Ukraine

At 02:35 03.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Apparently Ukrainian television reported this two days ago.
>
>-----
>Ukrainian Police Thwart Attempt To Sell Radioactive Strontium
>
>The police have arrested five people attempting to sell several containers
>of radioactive strontium-90 in Donetsk. The police are confident that the
>metal is meant for military purposes and can be used in the manufacture of
>nuclear weapons.

I would be very surprised, if the Sr-90 would be present in metal form. It
would be very hygroscopic and maybe even inflammable (I do not know for
sure). That it is not suitable to manufacture any nuclear weapons should be
clear, it is rather a (unwanted) byproduct from fission. People pay a lot
to get rid of old sources of Sr-90!

Is there anybody, who knows what really has been found? Activity, purpose,
devices?

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458