RAM Tag Benchmark

Nuclear Power Plants:

When do you apply the RAM (radioactive material) tag?  Not the RAM label that
says "Caution, Radioactive Material", but a tag that states the contamination
levels and dose rates associated with an item or container...?   Currently, we
apply the RAM tag at smearable levels above 1000 dpm/100 cm(superscript: 2)
and/or 5 mrem/hr contact and > 5x general area dose rate.  I can think of a
couple of scenarios where this wouldn't reflect ALARA practices.   Right now we
are majorly revising our Control of Material in a Restricted Area procedure and
would appreciate some comments and feedback.  Please state what utility you work
at if you reply.

Thanks!

David Harrison
RP Dept.