RE: Crud bursts

Hi Chris,

The hyperlink I gave you seems to be for only  INPO members. Sorry about
that.

On to crud bursts!

On FEB. 19, 2000 We injected Hydrogen peroxide into our Reactor Coolant
system. This was to oxygenate the water to enhance the removal corrosion
products. During this time we removed about 1,500 curies of mostly CO-58.
This was done without our Reactor Coolant Pumps running.

Some of the affects we had during this Planned evolution were the increase
of dose rates through out the plant. Areas that were effected were the
Reactor coolant system, reactor coolant filter, Letdown systems, Residual
heat removal system, and the chemical & volume control system. In
anticipation of this we placed in strategic locations  local radiation
Detectors to alert us in changing radiation fields.

To our surprise the dose rates were much higher than anticipated.  Areas in
the plant that were expected to go to High Rad Area actually reached Locked
High Rad status. (1000 mr/hr @ 30cm)  this lasted about 14 hrs. During this
time we locked certain areas of the plant to stop access and monitored them
till the Radiological postings were able to be downposted.

To give you an idea of some of the changing dose rates. One spot on a
landing of a staircase in our Vapor Containment  went to 700 mr/hr were it
is normally 15 to 20 mr/hr This was by the Residual heat removal system
piping. This system was the most effected during the crud burst.

I hope this helped you. Since you gave a fairly general question I did give
you a general ans. If you need more info drop me a line.