RE: tritium, nasty?

Les and others,

We in DOE are discovering that you need to be a little careful in your
dealings with tritium.  While by and large you are correct, we are currently
studying concerns with stable tritium compounds (STC's).  These are
generally found either in the forms of tritiated metals or organically bound
tritium.  While most of our STCs are intentionally created for various
reasons, we are also encountering it in the forms of dust, rust, and
contaminated pump oils.

The problems with these materials is that they are often in respirable form,
and can have much longer residence times in the body because of lower
dissolution rates.  Bioassay techniques become very complicated or
ineffective.  STCs are also much harder to detect, since we normally put
dust filters on our air samplers.

I don't want to imply that this is a crisis-type situation, but we are
actively studying the impact of these concerns on our practices, and the
potential for encountering these materials during D&D activities.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>